Cinco De Mayo – Family Night At Home
While we are all spending time at home, it’s great to switch it up every now and again and celebrate the small things!
I’m a sucker for a theme night and it makes it feel special for the kids as well! This year we are doing a fun taco platter and a spicy margarita (simple/skinny version) for mom and dad!
Cinco De Mayo is a fun time to have a Mexican inspired evening as a family. The kids love being able to build the tacos themselves and choose their toppings.
Moms, you deserve this margarita now more than ever!
You can choose items you have on hand or whatever you normally use as taco toppings.
If you’d like to keep it vegetarian, Trader Joe’s has a great “soy chorizo.” Cook with a chopped yellow onion as a great meat substitute!
Pico De Gallo
I used cilantro and Chile Lime seasoning as garnish throughout the taco platter.
Serve with your favorite type of taco shell or over a bed of butter lettuce.
Skinny Spicy Margarita
1. Wet the rim of your glass and roll in choice of salt. We like to do Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning mixed with course sea salt. Tajin mixed with coarse sea salt is great as well.
2. Remove seeds from your jalapeños and muddle. We like to do half of a large jalapeño to muddle and the other half sliced inside or as garnish on the rim.
3. Combine 4 ounces of silver tequila with 4 tablespoons of blue agave and mix well until the agave dissolves into the tequila.
4. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice pour the tequila/agave mixture and add in 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice. (I’ve done the concentrate before and it was a fail…) Shake well.
5. Pour your mixture into the glasses with the salted rims. Garnish with limes, jalapeños and a bit of cilantro.
** If you are looking for more entertainment inspiration for staying at home, be sure to check out this post HERE with backyard entertainment ideas. There’s also a spring inspired charcuterie board that you can check out HERE.